Mmm…rolled eggplant stuffed with ricotta and topped with tomato sauce…how could you go wrong?
This dish provides a full (delicious) serving of veggies. You could also use light cream cheese or cottage cheese in place of the ricotta and it still comes out just as good.
Source: 12 Tomatoes
• 4 eggplants
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1 package frozen spinach, thawed
• 3 cups ricotta cheese
• 1 egg
• 1 1/2 cups prepared marinara sauce
• 2 cups parmesan cheese, grated, divided
• 3/4 cups fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
• 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
• kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400º F.
2. Trim ends off eggplants. Cut lengthwise into approximately 1/4-inch thick slices.
3. Place eggplant slices on baking sheets and season with salt and pepper, then drizzle with olive oil.
4. Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
5. In a large bowl, mix ricotta cheese, egg, basil leaves, salt, pepper and 1 cup of parmesan cheese. Squeeze water out of spinach and add it to the cheese mixture.
6. Place approximately 3 tablespoons of cheese and spinach mixture on each eggplant slice. Roll into a loose bundle and place seam-side down in a large baking dish.
7. Top eggplant rolls with marinara sauce. Sprinkle on mozzarella and remaining parmesan cheese.
8. Place baking dish in oven and bake 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted.