I’ve been trying to get my whole family to eat healthy, but I’m starting to get complaints that they’re missing some comfort food favorites, like my famous lasagna. And let’s be honest – I’ve kinda been craving it too.
This zucchini lasagna has NOTHING to feel guilty about at all! Made with wholesome, healthy ingredients, it fills that “comfort food” profile without being detrimental to my fitness goals.
I don’t have a mandolin slicer, but I used a Y hand peeler and was able to get pretty good zucchini strips.
Image Source: CupcakesOMG.blogspot.com.au
• 1 red onion
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 lb ground beef
• 1 lb mild Italian sausage
• 2 tbsp dried oregano
• ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
• ½ tsp cayenne pepper
• ½ tsp sea salt
• ½ tbsp black pepper
• 1 (14 ½-ounce) can diced tomatoes, juices drained
• 1 (6‐ounce) can tomato paste
• 5‐6 zucchinis, thinly sliced long way with a mandolin slicer
• 1 cup sliced black olives
• In a large soup pot saute onions and garlic in the olive oil for about 3 minutes.
• Add ground beef and sausage and brown.
• Season meat mixture with all dry ingredients and add drained diced tomatoes and tomato paste and mix well.
• In a big lasagna baking dish place a layer of sliced zucchini and then ladle on a thick layer of the meat mixture and top with the sliced black olives.
• Top meat and olive layer with another layer of sliced zucchini and top with a final layer of the remaining meat mixture.
• Cover tightly with aluminum foil and back at 350 for 30 min.
• Let sit for 10 min before serving.