It’s like fajita night and pasta night in one! Explore all the tastes of your favorite chicken fajitas in this Mexican-inspired pasta dish.
It’s all done in one pot, which makes for easy cleanup, and is ready in 30 minutes!
• 2 tsp olive oil
• 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 1 tsp kosher salt
• 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1/2 tsp chili powder
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1 large white onion, sliced
• 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
• 1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 cups less-sodium chicken broth
• 1 (10-oz) can diced tomatoes & green chiles
• 7 oz pasta (I used rotini)
• 1/2 cup light sour cream
• 1 scallion, diced
• 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
• 4 oz diced avocado
• Season chicken with 3/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp chili powder and 1/4 tsp garlic powder.
• In a large deep nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over high heat. When the oil is very hot, add the chicken and cook until browned, stirring about 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
• Reduce heat to medium, add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil to the skillet. When the oil is hot, add the onions, bell peppers, and remaining 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp chili powder and 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes.
• Add minced garlic, and stir until fragrant and well combined, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and transfer to the plate with the chicken.
• In the same skillet, add the broth, diced tomatoes and uncooked pasta. Stir to combine and bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 15 minutes until pasta is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed.
• Add the chicken and veggies back into the skillet and stir to combine until heated through, about 2 minutes.
• Mix in the sour cream and top with scallions and cilantro. Serve with avocado on top.